Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Baby Kailey is coming home!
So I didn't have time to write about it til now but a couple days after being home we took Kailey in for her 4 day doctor appointment. Her birth weight was 6lbs 15 ocs, and it had dropped down to 6.3. The doctor also noticed that she looked pretty jaundice so he sent us over to the lab to get her bilirubin level tested. He said if it came back 15 or higher that he wants us to put her back in the hospital. Well about an hour after we had taken to the lab the doctor called me and said her level was 17.6 and that they were waiting for her at the hospital. So the hospital I delivered her at in Newport Beach was full so I had to go to Fountain Valley hospital...not as nice,especially after being spoiled at the other one with an Ocean View out my window. So we got her in and they got her set up under the bili lights they call them and took more blood tests, her poor little heels were becoming a pin cushion. The next night a doctor and like 3 nurses came in and told me that the blood culture came back positive for an infection and that they were moving us to the PICU to do further testing and to get her on antibiotics. So the poor little thing had to get a spinal tap to test for metingitis, and another blood culture. So at this point i'm freaking out thinking about what I did wrong and guilty that she was still supposed to be in my belly at this point warm and cozy> well a couple days in the ICU and the blood culture tests were coming back negative and her jaundice level went down to 11 so they moved us out of the picu into a normal room, where she could get off the lights but continue antibiotics. I guess the way blood culture tests work is that you have to wait 72 hours to see if any infection grows. So I get this doctor in today and tells me she thinks it's a serious infection that would have to be looked at by a special lab because she thinks it's in the same family as anthrax! and that the earliest day she would be able to go home is Fri. Well I asked to get the results from the doctor I had in the PICU because he was more familiar with the case. That doctor calls in a specialist directly into the hospital to look at her chart and to talk to the lab in detail about the results. He is the nicest old man you would ever meet and took the time to confirm everything . He finally told me that its not a serious infection and that he is going to have me sleeping in my own bed tonight. I was so happy but still a little concerned that I was getting a completely different answer. but he went back and double checked everything and actually went to that other doctor and told her and explained his findings and she came back to me and apologized and told me she completely agreed and trusted the other doctors result. So that's the long story in a nutshell believe it or not. So after 4 days here in the hospital I am now waiting to get discharged!! I get to go home to a little boy that has been missing his mommy and little sister. And to a wonderful husband, that has been cooking, doing the laundry, going grocery shopping, and cleaning, who now appreciates me on a whole other level for everything I do as a mom. More pictures to come...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good gracious! What a mess! Glad it was all figured out. Kristian went in for jaundice and we were there for quite a few days, it was not pleasant. Post pictures when you can, we're all antsy to see her beautiful face!
Post a Comment